Maintenance - BMW EV Hub Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Greens

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-01-2017, 09:19 AM Thread Starter

Maintenance

Hey guys,

As we know, BMW i3 has W20K06U0 25 kW 647 cc, two-cylinder generator under the hood. The battery is a new thing for car market and I still have a fluent knowledge of it. I know that BMW i3 offers 8 years warranty for the battery, however, I still want to know how to manage a battery so it has a longer life. Have you ever faced with battery issues?
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-05-2017, 04:28 AM

Never owned an EV before so this is new territory for me too. The battery shouldn't lose more than 30% in 8 years, I think that's around the average and most EVs don't even deteriorate that much.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-19-2017, 02:05 PM Thread Starter

Sounds great. From what I saw in EV articles, most manufacturers are offering 8-year/100,000-mile warranties for their batteries. Nissan is providing additional battery capacity loss coverage for 5 years or 60,000 miles. Need to admit that automakers put a lot of efforts in EV production these days.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-26-2017, 04:23 PM

On the bright side, general maintenance for electric cars are pretty cheap because there's no oil change and all that jazz associated with petrol cars.
B-real likes this.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 02:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greens View Post
On the bright side, general maintenance for electric cars are pretty cheap because there's no oil change and all that jazz associated with petrol cars.
Great point! I guess most of the EV owners will end up with having just a few common issues with the battery. On the other hand, electric vehicles will not bring any easy fixes for their owners, so you will need to bring your car to the dealer, because no self-governing service unit knows how to fix electric motors of automotive grade, and most do not have the tools needed to work on those cars. So, instead of getting your car fixed at a workshop, they will politely send you off to the dealer.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-23-2017, 09:18 PM

On higher performing EV's I think we might have to rotate the tires more often unless tires have changed so much that they don't wear out as much which to be honest we really need. In a way this is a "green" approach and doable on premium products from a premium brand such as BMW.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-04-2018, 04:48 AM

Perhaps extended warranties will be a more common purchase with electric cars than the average ICE vehicle, simply because of how much more electronics it has and how expensive those things are to fix if anything goes wrong. Something to consider if you plan on keeping the car for a long time.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-06-2018, 01:35 PM

Often the battery core cost can eat up a lot of what we pay so when getting a new battery, the money we get back from the core should help weigh out the cost. Its not like we will be paying every dollar for a brand new battery. Its the same situation with regular car batteries
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-06-2018, 02:23 PM

Yeah I don't think many owners will find themselves replacing batteries throughout the duration of an average ownership. I think Tesla has stated that on average after 8 years batteries still retain 80% of their original range. As there are less moving parts in electrics, its expected that average maintenance costs should be far less than what's found on traditional ICE's. Its more than likely that most problems will be related to electronics/software and I'm not sure what to expect in terms of fees there.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-11-2018, 10:15 PM

That has me wondering if we will see car makers deal directly with these batteries as they become due for change overs or if there's some room for aftermarket brands to step in because at this rate car makers want us to depend on them for every single thing possible.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page