BMW considering forced EV mode for cities - BMW EV Hub Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 10:35 AM Thread Starter

BMW considering forced EV mode for cities

With big changes coming to emission standards and regulations, BMW may be taking an aggressive strategy to help fight pollution. The automaker has suggested that it could force their hybrid vehicles to run electric only while within city limits. By working directly with the cars navigation system they could program right into the vehicles software to automatically disable the use of the engine. Not sure if I like the idea of this kind of control over how we choose to use our vehicles. https://www.topspeed.com/cars/car-ne...-ar183620.html
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-05-2018, 06:04 PM

I'm in favor of the idea because it means us making less of a conscious decision to be green. Most of us will use these to do simple commutes so I don't see the big deal.

Biggest fight right now is to prevent having the same problem some Chinese cities are facing, toxic smog.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 10:27 AM

My only question is, will the software recognize if you don't have the charge to run in pure EV mode? While I appreciate what BMW is trying to do to reduce emissions in downtown cores, I would guess that a large number of PHEV owners are already doing this. Whole point is to save money on gas.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 07:07 PM

It should come down to having a smart system that learns everything about your commutes, once patterns from that are built, driving in the city in forced EV mode will be doable.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-07-2018, 10:22 AM Thread Starter

You are probably right that here are a good number of PHEV drivers who already run their car in electric when driving in heavy traffic. But the difference in emissions from some drivers as opposed to all drivers, would have noticeable results.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-09-2018, 11:59 PM

I realized not everyone makes the best use of the technology and sometimes requires a longer learning curve.
Being encouraged/prompted/and so on will actually make that tech truly useful.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-11-2018, 09:06 AM

As more AI becomes more integrated into newer vehicles, I think a lot of these kinds of decisions will become automated. Why leave it up to the discretion of drivers, if its something that's completely seamless and better for everyone.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-21-2018, 02:07 PM

Driver input and confirmation of what these systems will be needed till everywhere around us has AI and constantly giving the system data points required.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-29-2018, 01:46 PM Thread Starter

The majority of owners wont notice/care but there are still plenty of enthusiast who want to retain as much control as possible over their vehicle. Why do you think brands like Porsche have promised to keep autonomous tech out of their cars for as long as possible?
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryton View Post
The majority of owners wont notice/care but there are still plenty of enthusiast who want to retain as much control as possible over their vehicle. Why do you think brands like Porsche have promised to keep autonomous tech out of their cars for as long as possible?
Being part of VW group gives them that advantage, now the same platform that underpins X vehicle that has to fulfill offering X/Y/Z characteristics has another path to freedom

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page