BMW Joins Ionity Charging Network - BMW EV Hub Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-13-2017, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

BMW Joins Ionity Charging Network

Right now the charging network is dominated by Tesla and third party companies that don't produce electric cars. Perhaps to get a piece of that charging pie, BMW is teaming up with Ford, Daimler, and VW to form Ionity. These large auto manufacturers will work together and build a network of fast chargers across Europe. For everyone outside of Europe, tough luck I suppose. Unless they decide to attempt to do the same elsewhere.

SlashGear for more.
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-14-2017, 10:19 AM

Love to see this kind of teaming up to improve EVs' popularity among people.
Quote:
IONITY will implement and operate about 400 fast charging stations across European major thoroughfares until 2020
Big companies are getting ready for upcoming 2020 year, I think that's when the EV revolution's gonna take place.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-15-2017, 07:58 PM

I love the fact this will mean driving in Europe you'll be able to find a charging station in just about every 75 miles, which is extremely generous considering most new cars will be getting ranges into the hundreds. But at the same time people who might be buying EV's with much less, entry-level, range, this will be a massive incentive. No more concerns over day-to-day practicality.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-23-2018, 12:55 PM Thread Starter

So the Ionity chargers should have a 350kW output, which is more than twice that of Tesla's 145kW Superchargers. Though the chargers are limited to Europe for now, would that not mean future Bimmer EV models will be compatible with said charger as a form of future-proofing?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-23-2018, 02:00 PM

I don't think there is anything involved in retrofitting upcoming BMW EV's to work with these new superchargers. And hopefully the higher outputs indicate less time spent waiting. Are we to assume that these new charging stations will be more expensive to use?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-25-2018, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryton View Post
I don't think there is anything involved in retrofitting upcoming BMW EV's to work with these new superchargers. And hopefully the higher outputs indicate less time spent waiting. Are we to assume that these new charging stations will be more expensive to use?
Tesla is raising the bar by setting 8 minutes as their target charging time for a full charge. If other brand don't keep up then it can make all the difference with buying habits.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page