Solid State Batteries Is BMW's Future? - BMW EV Hub Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-09-2018, 12:37 PM Thread Starter

Solid State Batteries Is BMW's Future?

BMW has teamed up with battery-developer Solid Power to develop solid-state rechargeable batteries for electric cars. If this partnership proves fruitful, we could see them in future BMW electric vehicles. They're said to be safer, cheaper, have greater energy density for more range and charge faster.

Engaget has a quick rundown of this and I for one am excited for the future of electric vehicles.
https://www.engadget.com/2017/12/18/...-ev-batteries/
post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-09-2018, 03:48 PM

Ultimately i wanted to hear about BMW talk about supercapacitors but at the rate that has been talked about (very slow) this is the next best thing we have going. Already EV's coming out over the next few year will be getting around 200+ miles, if we can get 50% above that or more it could do a lot of good, doubling mileage could mean people can take roadtrips across the nation with much fewer chargers.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-14-2018, 06:11 PM Thread Starter

My concern with how they're sticking with one kind of battery are the materials needed to create them because we don't have unlimited amount of minerals in this world and I believe the current batteries needs cobalt.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-16-2018, 05:06 PM

I doubt that cobalt will be the only way to make batteries but as interest grows with EV's we should see the increase of battery tech that's more eco friendly or at least more renewable and has less of a carbon footprint. Cobalt was probably the cheapest solution to use while the EV market was new.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-28-2018, 01:49 PM

Does this mean that BMW has no plans to produce any batteries of their own? That's kind of risky to place their production goals in the hands of another battery manufacturer. With how many EV cars BMW has planned to release in the upcoming years, I wonder why we haven't heard anything about the creation of a battery plant, similar to what Telsa has built.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page