A 3 minute charger - BMW EV Hub Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 09:30 AM Thread Starter

A 3 minute charger

BMW and Porsche have announced that there are working together to develop the next generation of rapid chargers. Their goal is to deliver charging times that are as quick as a petrol refill and their latest 450kW station is between three and nine times the capacity of current DC fast chargers. The BMW i3 test car used in this project was able to go from 10 to 80% full in just 15 minutes. https://www.topgear.com/car-news/ele...ute-ev-charger
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 09:35 AM

With voltages getting this high, its going to be critically important for automakers to develop really advanced thermal management systems and proper safeguards. One of the main reasons why batteries take as long as they do to charge, is an effort to prevent battery degradation.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 04:08 PM

Anyone hoping to get more vehicles under subscription programs will love this news because without efficient systems in place it won't be sustainable.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 10:01 AM Thread Starter

Charging is usually only throttled down once you get above 80%. If people are able to pull into a station and get a hundred or so miles in just a matter of minutes, that increases practicality twofold.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 11:36 AM

Yes, essentially charging has to be as fluid or better than what it takes to fill a vehicle with gasoline. Anything is more is an inconvenience that impacts sales.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 08:55 AM

I have heard that some companies are developing liquid battery tech, which is also supposed to improve charging rates. More importantly existing petrol stations could be retrofitted to refill the fluid that would be used to power these new batteries. https://phys.org/news/2018-09-tenfol...ctric-car.html
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018, 12:38 PM

I can see this doing well with the military before coming under civilian use, won't be surprised if that's already happening.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 09:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus View Post
I have heard that some companies are developing liquid battery tech, which is also supposed to improve charging rates. More importantly existing petrol stations could be retrofitted to refill the fluid that would be used to power these new batteries. https://phys.org/news/2018-09-tenfol...ctric-car.html
That technology is very intriguing. I wonder what sort of bi product comes from the discharged liquid and whether or not it can be reused/recycled.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 05:21 PM

Supercapacitors were at one point on the table and still seems like a viable option. Anyone thinks car makers will eventually use them?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page