BMW iX3 Spied - BMW EV Hub Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-13-2018, 11:59 AM Thread Starter

BMW iX3 Spied

The new BMW iX3 was spied prancing in the snow and it's pretty obvious that the car is an electric by the lack of exhaust pipes and side sticker. https://paultan.org/2018/02/13/spysh...-first-photos/

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-18-2018, 01:38 PM

I wonder if this is the final version of the iX3. Its unusual for an automaker to allow uncamouflaged pictures to leak online, prior to its official reveal. I wonder if this body it just a shell that BMW is using to test the new powertrain.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 11:35 AM Thread Starter

Id' assume if it were using another body to house the test battery and motors, it would be the outgoing X3 frame but there are slight differences between the above spy shots and the gas model. So perhaps it's an unfinished prototype?
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-27-2018, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus View Post
I wonder if this is the final version of the iX3. Its unusual for an automaker to allow uncamouflaged pictures to leak online, prior to its official reveal. I wonder if this body it just a shell that BMW is using to test the new powertrain.
The hybrid 330e came to market looking no different than a regular 3 series and here we're seeing the same thing play out with the X3, safe to say what we're seeing here is a 90% close to being production ready.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-18-2018, 04:55 PM Thread Starter

But that's a hybrid. Full electric models from BMW stands out like a sore thumb from the rest of the lineup and I'm sure the iX3 willl be no different, at least add in some blue accents or something proclaiming it to be a full EV.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-20-2018, 11:18 AM

Yeah for the increased cost that comes from buying an electric, BMW better do a little more to differentiate it from its hybrid cousins. Whether that's changes to their lighting systems or tweaks to the body style, potential buyers will want something new in the iX3.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-08-2018, 11:52 AM Thread Starter

Does anyone else notice the odd circular opening in the lower grille of the spied car? Doesn't look like a charging port, so what else could it be sued for?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-10-2018, 10:51 AM

Yeah not sure what that is, maybe its being used for diagnostics? Or perhaps the new electric model is coming with some new kinds of reverse drive assist tech.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page