First official look at the iNext - BMW EV Hub Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-21-2018, 10:53 AM Thread Starter

First official look at the iNext

While the commercial launch for this model is still far away, BMW has provided a detailed first look at their next fully electric SUV. They hope that this model will be fully autonomous, so long as the technology has advanced far enough by 2021. Alike some of the other EV concepts we've seen this model steps away from the brands traditional double kidney grille, for something more unique. The iNext also has suicide doors and the B pillars have been removed for better visibility.
post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-26-2018, 01:18 PM

Really sharp looking concept, inside and out. Why is it that all 'futuristic' models have oval shaped steering wheels lol. I wonder if BMW will be able to bring it to production without the B pillars. Safety regulations aren't getting any more lenient.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryton View Post
Really sharp looking concept, inside and out. Why is it that all 'futuristic' models have oval shaped steering wheels lol. I wonder if BMW will be able to bring it to production without the B pillars. Safety regulations aren't getting any more lenient.
As an SUV i think we have greater odds of seeing it come to market because with the larger real estate compared to a sedan or coupe, working in more side impact protection is easier.

Of all concerns with the lack of a B-pillar, that for me takes top priority.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-03-2018, 01:19 PM Thread Starter

This isn't the first car we've seen that doesn't have B pillars. Mazda's RX-8, Cadillacs XLR and Honda's Element are just a few that have taken a similar design approach. None of those models seemed to have suffered from poorer crash test results either.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-05-2018, 10:34 AM

I think there is a good chance the iNext will retain this design and early concepts of the i4 seem to showcase a similar setup. BMW must want to increase the visibility and amount of light in their upcoming electrics.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 03:51 PM

BMW's design language even on current ICE models that have been refreshed share some slight DNA with iNext design.
The G20 3-Series revealed at the recent paris auto show is a prime example of this.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-12-2018, 10:31 AM Thread Starter

To be honest I'm not a huge fan of what BMW has done with the new 3 Series, and I see far too many similarities with newer Lexus products. They made it seem like it was a return to form, but then they don't even offer it with a manual.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 04:00 PM

I think depending on the changes they might bring to it with a refresh, it could make the 3-Series look how it should.

Sort of happy that its no longer just a baby 5-Series like the last generation, but this time around something more.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 09:28 AM

Regardless of whether or not an automaker wants to release a manual gearbox, sales of manuals speak for themselves. I think the current buy in rate is less than 3% of all cars sold in the U.S. Financially it doesn't make sense to even have that option for such a niche market.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 04:07 PM

Manuals have been dying since the 00's and even during the 90's. Justification for them have started to fade around the 80 but now car makers have many more reasons to drop them.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page