BMW recalls EV's prone to fire risk - BMW EV Hub Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-02-2018, 09:41 AM Thread Starter

BMW recalls EV's prone to fire risk

BMW will be recalling roughly 3,500 of their electrified models due to charging cables that could lead to shocks or fires. It affects a wide range of both their plug in and fully electric models from 2018 and 2019. 25% of the affected models are believed to be 2018 i3's, but here's what else may have defective charging cables:

- 2019 BMW i8 coupe and roadster
- 2018 Mini Cooper Countryman SE All4 PHEV
- 2018 BMW X5 xDrive40e
- 2018-2019 BMW 530e xDrive
- 2018-2019 BMW 740Le xDrive

Quote:
In government filings, BMW said that incorrect electrical capacitors in its charging cords may fail and either produce an electrical shock or start a fire. BMW markets the chargers as "TurboCord Portable Chargers." The majority of the chargers were installed in the trunks of BMW's plug-in hybrid and electric vehicles in July and August of 2018.
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-06-2018, 09:46 AM

This is a relatively small amount of affected models, but at least the issue has been found prior to any accidents. Better for these kinds of problems to come up now, before BMW starts on their full EV push.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-06-2018, 07:23 PM

Its quite scary to think that as the more electronics that go into our car that the fire risk goes up with it. The best decision someone can make is to not have garage attached to their house.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 09:41 AM Thread Starter

Automakers should consider placing proper fire suppression systems in any of their higher performance EV's. Not only is the risk of electrical issues higher, but we know that these battery packs act very much like an accelerant.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 09:45 AM

I do recall seeing that a Tesla managed to reignite in flames, days after it was extinguished from an accident. Part of that is probably due to the fact that firefighters haven't been trained how to properly disable the electrical system.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-08-2018, 01:36 PM

ensuring you have a robust system to combat these fires is a wise investment, I mean after all, it can cost you your life. eventually we'll see upscale homes come with them.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-19-2018, 02:58 PM

I rather deal with a fire risk than a potential explosion with hydrogen fuel cell cars.

The only real solution for the concerned buyer is to run frequent check up's even by an independent tech. Proactive > reactive.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 09:39 AM Thread Starter

HFCV have to comply with rigorous crash tests, and I've yet to see an accident that resulted in having one of the tanks damaged. Both the range and charge times exceed what's currently on offer even in the high spec EV's.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page