BMW iX3 Debuted In Beijing With Range Of 249 Miles - BMW EV Hub Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2018, 04:58 PM Thread Starter

BMW iX3 Debuted In Beijing With Range Of 249 Miles

BMW finally unveiled the much anticipated iX3 concept at the 2018 Beijing Auto Show and it look surprisingly normal. Looking at their past models like the i8 and i3, one would expect a very distinct deign, but that doesn’t seem to be the case here. This also gives us a glimpse into what BMW’s future electric lineup has in store for enthusiasts.

Looking very similar to its gas powered sibling, the full-electric iX3 is everything one would want in a traditional SUV aside from small styling and powertrain updates. The front bumper has seen the biggest change with a connected grille instead of the iconic dual kidney grille that’s synonymous with BMW. Moving to the rear, there’s a distant lack of exhaust pipes as they’ve been replaced by a new diffuser. IF that’s not enough to clue someone in that what they’re looking at is an EV, the light blue accents certainly will.

BMW has managed to strike the perfect balance between the iX3’s funky predecessor and the X3 model it is based on.

The model’s exact powertrain specs have not been release yet, but BMW did say the iX3 will deliver 270 hp and have a total range of 249 miles. Even better, the battery can fully charge from empty in just 30 minutes when plugged into a 150 kW charging system.

Now we just have to wait for BMW to reveal the production ready all-electric iX3.

Old 05-02-2018, 12:29 PM

Didn't BMW originally give us a higher estimate for the iX3's range? I believe it was somewhere around 500km, so 250 miles falls a bit short. Maybe it's due to the large size of the electric SUV? Just a disappointment when you originally though BMW would come out with a class leading model instead of something that's on par with everything else available. By the time we see production models of it on sale, other automakers may have breached the 300 mile ceiling.
Old 05-02-2018, 02:31 PM

I wouldn't say that 1 mile less than advertised is of an significance. I just have my fingers crossed that they have utilized the proper cooling systems to ensure the battery doesn't suffer from serious degradation during early ownership. Has there been any indication of what we should expect in terms of warranty?
Old 05-09-2018, 01:03 PM

500km is around 310 miles...so they're falling 60 miles short of the original estimate. While 250 miles is the standard for now, that number is definitely going to increase by the time BMW comes out with the iX3 and they'll need to play catch up again while selling less units compared to something in the 300 mile range.
Old 05-13-2018, 04:35 PM

Well Audi's E-Tron looks like its going to be delivering less range than what was first projected as well. Seems like a bunch automakers are having some growing pains, adopting electric technology to larger and heavier vehicles.
Old 05-20-2018, 10:36 PM

In the end it will come down to more of what features you want and the brand you prefer than range. Car makers have no choice but to conform to whats normal for the segment they compete in. Much like how they do currently.