This could be it for the i3 and i8 - BMW EV Hub Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-17-2018, 12:26 PM Thread Starter

This could be it for the i3 and i8

This hasn't been confirmed by BMW yet, but Motor Trend says the i8 and i3 may not receive a next generation once the current models' production period end. A shame about the i8 as it was a beautiful piece of work, but the i3 won't be missed by me.

Current BMW i3, i8 May be the Last - Motor Trend
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-13-2018, 02:15 PM

Yeah I don't think there are many who will be upset to see the i3 go. Its interesting however that BMW is also considering to discontinue the i8. Perhaps with BMW's shift towards electrics, they are simply going to redesign the i8 and re release it as a full electric.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-14-2018, 12:44 PM

It will be a smart move because SUV's and CUV's are where its really at and instead of the i8, what we really need is a real 8-series successor. Thankfully BMW is working on both those better ways. From what i seen fo the 8-series its one impressive coupe.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-25-2018, 01:29 AM Thread Starter

The i8 may not sell in high quantities, but I'd assume there's a higher profit margin in it with the decreasing cost of battery production. There's actually a few in my neighborhood and I can't imagine how much BMW makes with each sale. Support that with a more affordable line of electric vehicles and BMW could have an advantage over others.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-05-2018, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greens View Post
The i8 may not sell in high quantities, but I'd assume there's a higher profit margin in it with the decreasing cost of battery production. There's actually a few in my neighborhood and I can't imagine how much BMW makes with each sale. Support that with a more affordable line of electric vehicles and BMW could have an advantage over others.
Regardless, it did help to create the right image of what BMW can do with EV's especially as they come out with more volume products. A 6-Series or 4-Series like i-Series model would really stir things up.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-20-2018, 12:43 PM Thread Starter

The i8 is to BMW what the Model T was to Tesla, it was something to gain customer attention and it worked very well. Having been sold for so many years and still going, there must be a demand and those who can't afford the i8 will have other BMW options.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-20-2018, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greens View Post
The i8 is to BMW what the Model T was to Tesla, it was something to gain customer attention and it worked very well. Having been sold for so many years and still going, there must be a demand and those who can't afford the i8 will have other BMW options.
If you meant Model S, then you're wrong. The original tesla roadster was more like BMW's i8 to show that EV's don't have to be boring. Closest thing BMW has to a Model S is the i3, but even that's not worthy of the comparison.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page