BMW's second gen iFE.18 Formula E - BMW EV Hub Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-17-2018, 11:21 AM Thread Starter

BMW's second gen iFE.18 Formula E

It seems as though BMW had a successful first test drive of its Gen2 Formula E car. This new model is powered with a completely new powertrain, and we'll get the chance to see a public drive of it next month in Berlin. I'm comparison to the i3, the E racer is 50% lighter, 66% more compact and produces 100% more power. It reaches engine revs that are 400 times higher than their electric production car.
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-20-2018, 02:41 PM

Cool video, really looking forward to the upcoming season. But imo I think if they really want Formula E to have the same sort of success as Formula 1, they are going to consider putting sound generators on these cars. It just isn't the same sensation seeing these cars driving around sounding like go karts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-22-2018, 01:53 PM Thread Starter

It's an adjustment for sure, but I kind of like how unique and futuristic they sound. And its a great way for automakers to further develop and test their electric technology. All of the improvements that we will see in efficiency and charge times on production models, will likely come from here.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-09-2018, 05:03 PM

this comes at a great time in BMW's production line up where it should expand to include a real supercar and not just something that looks the part, aka i8.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus View Post
It's an adjustment for sure, but I kind of like how unique and futuristic they sound. And its a great way for automakers to further develop and test their electric technology. All of the improvements that we will see in efficiency and charge times on production models, will likely come from here.
the trickle down effect should be huge now that every well established car maker is trying to launch a hypercar of their own, thus making a sound business case to move these.

Mercedes will launch one soon and even Toyota revealed a production-spec prototype to everyones surprise, from a brand that sells $18,000 USD Corollas.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-17-2018, 12:27 PM Thread Starter

If you look at what Merc is doing with their AMG Project One, that could be the direction that all automakers will begin to head in with their hypercars. Trying to offer Formula 1 technology and performance in a road legal car.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-25-2018, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus View Post
If you look at what Merc is doing with their AMG Project One, that could be the direction that all automakers will begin to head in with their hypercars. Trying to offer Formula 1 technology and performance in a road legal car.
That's also my hope with Nissan and the next GT-R which has potential to pull from the Renault division involved heavily in motorsports. Its essentially the only way they can make a true GT-R successor during challenging times in the industry. Raising the bar isn't easy.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-26-2018, 09:38 AM

The Project One starts at something like $2.7 million per unit, so were still far away from this being cost effective on a large scale. Unsurprisingly however MB has already sold out of the 275 allocations.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page