BMW sees continued sucess with PHEVs - BMW EV Hub Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 01:59 PM Thread Starter

BMW sees continued sucess with PHEVs

Last month BMW sold around 10,000 plug in electrics, which translates to about 39% growth. In fact BMW has announced with so many interest in their PHEV's that they will be increasing production of both the i3 and i8 by 50% this autumn. In the first give months of 2018, total sales have reached 48,849, which is on track for their yearly goal of 140,000. Hopefully this interest transitions to full electrics as BMW begins to introduce them to market.
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 06:18 PM

It helps that BMW has been one of the only brands out there to push EV's with some sporty edge to them without killing all the fun. Bolt and Volt were a bit too boring IMO.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-04-2018, 01:58 PM

I also think a big advantage that BMW has, is that these electric/hybrid variants also look fairly similar to their ICE counterparts. I think the notion that EV's need to have odd/quirky styling is outdated, and I expect future models to look more or less identical to petrol/diesel aside from some tweaks to accents, like we've seen in the upcoming iX3.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-08-2018, 12:11 PM Thread Starter

While it may be easier for newcomers to buy into similar looking vehicles, I also think that people are going to want a unique looking vehicle considering the high buy in price for EV's. I dont expect BMW to change up their design language significantly with the electric models, but some tasteful accenting such as lighting and grilles could go a long way.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 07:09 PM

BMW just can't do drastic changes to models that already have gasoline versions and had them for years, sometimes decades. Its like this with every car maker. Drastic changes are done with entirely new products.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 01:54 PM

Seeing as how BMW has outlined plans for 25 all electric and hybrid vehicles by 2025, its obvious that a good number of them are going to be brand new models. Although we don't entirely know what the iNext is going to be, early rumors suggest it could be a crossover.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-16-2018, 04:27 AM

Safe to say you can discount any products that have been refreshed recently, such as the 7 Series and 5 Series. If those current generation versions don't go EV like the upcoming 3-Series then we could be in for a wait.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page