BMW announces no diesel for the U.S after 2018 - BMW EV Hub Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-12-2018, 01:16 PM Thread Starter

BMW announces no diesel for the U.S after 2018

It looks like BMW's plan to phase out diesel engines may be getting underway quicker than anticipated. The automaker released a statement to Motor Authority claiming that they will no longer be carrying diesel engines in their North American portfolio. From 2019 on they will be placing all of their focus in PHEV variants, as they move towards fully electric models in the coming years.
post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-14-2018, 01:14 PM

This move makes sense, as I don't believe they sell all that many diesels here to begin with. I have a feeling that they will continue to support that powerplant in Europe however, as I've already seen they are updating the X1 and X2 with some new diesel engine options.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

I'm just glad to see that BMW is moving away from this tech, as companies like JLR have already shown they want to release diesel hybrids. I really don't see the benefits of that kind of system, and I really think those two technologies oppose one another.
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-26-2018, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus View Post
I'm just glad to see that BMW is moving away from this tech, as companies like JLR have already shown they want to release diesel hybrids. I really don't see the benefits of that kind of system, and I really think those two technologies oppose one another.
All we have to do is follow the money because before products get to us, years ahead of time billions are being invested. Early this year for example $90 Billion In Investments Into EVs & Batteries Now Pledged By Global Auto Manufacturers was one big industry move.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-28-2018, 10:29 AM

Porsche didn't walk away from the diesel gate scandal unscathed either. VW has been a scapegoat in that regard and a lot of rival automakers have benefitted from the severe lesson that company has learned. Its about time we move on from 120 year old technology.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-26-2018, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryton View Post
Porsche didn't walk away from the diesel gate scandal unscathed either. VW has been a scapegoat in that regard and a lot of rival automakers have benefitted from the severe lesson that company has learned. Its about time we move on from 120 year old technology.
VW wasn't the scapegoat, I think you're confusing the VW vehicle brand for VW group that encompasses all brands under the one identity. No source mentions VW vehicles exclusively.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-01-2018, 09:46 AM

Find another brand under their umbrella that was forced to pay $25 billion in damages. They had the largest number of affected vehicles totalling around 600,000 in the U.S alone and around 8 million in Europe. How VW Paid $25 Billion for 'Dieselgate' ? and Got Off Easy | Fortune
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-01-2018, 07:16 PM

A lot of core Audi products were part of it as well and an Audi exec got let go as well. Fortunately it won't hurt Audi as much as VW, people will continue to buy because Audi actually does something different.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-02-2018, 09:35 AM Thread Starter

There were even Porsche models that were affected and that's exactly why we've seen them say that they wont be using diesels at all moving forward. Premium brands cant risk a hit to their credibility like that.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-02-2018, 03:35 PM

I bet if this was 10 years ago they would be looking for every single way possible to recover by using the same powertrains.
When billions are being poured into R&D for electric powertrains for nearly the entire line up, everything else is a liability.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page