BMW updates the i3 - BMW EV Hub Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-07-2018, 01:21 PM Thread Starter

BMW updates the i3

BMW has confirmed that the next generation i3 will be getting a larger 42.2 kWh battery pack. The new powerplant will allow it to achieve around 160 miles with regular use. Personally I feel like if there were going to improve it, they should have really tried to get closer to that 200 mile mark. They haven't announced what will change in terms of pricing. https://newatlas.com/bmw-battery-i3-electric-car/56573/
post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 01:19 PM

Bit of a shame that BMW finally decides to update the i3 and still restricts it to being an inner city commuter with that kind of range. When you factor in the loss that's seen in the winter, it becomes even less practical. We should see pricing details sometime next month.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 09:31 AM Thread Starter

With the depreciation we've seen on the first generation, I hope they are a lot more realistic with entry level pricing this time around. I think they will have to be considering how many more electrics have joined the segment since the i3 first debuted.
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus View Post
With the depreciation we've seen on the first generation, I hope they are a lot more realistic with entry level pricing this time around. I think they will have to be considering how many more electrics have joined the segment since the i3 first debuted.
that will only happen as competition ramps up and right now Chinese car makers are looking to bring the heat
I know Lexus could do it but they don't like risky moves but the Chinese do especially with all the capital they have on hand.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 09:23 AM

If you're talking about Gyon, I think they have a long road ahead of them in terms of getting traction in NA. Consumers are going to a tough time paying a premium on an EV brand that they have no familiarity with.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryton View Post
If you're talking about Gyon, I think they have a long road ahead of them in terms of getting traction in NA. Consumers are going to a tough time paying a premium on an EV brand that they have no familiarity with.
buyers these days seem sway by the right price and features and so far it seems that Chinese brands can undercut just about everyone in the American market right now.
they're liquid enough that taking a hit on every vehicle sold to establish themselves could pay off in the long run.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 09:29 AM Thread Starter

This may be true for lower end segment vehicles, but that's not the case when it comes to premium/ luxury models. Just have a look at what's happened with early Genesis sales or even the Stinger. Even though they both undercut on price, they are still experiencing a significant amount of badge bias.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus View Post
This may be true for lower end segment vehicles, but that's not the case when it comes to premium/ luxury models. Just have a look at what's happened with early Genesis sales or even the Stinger. Even though they both undercut on price, they are still experiencing a significant amount of badge bias.
That's because price isn't competitive enough and unfortunately not all brands are for cutting prices last I checked.
Chinese brands however are already preparing to undercut from the start. Maybe we'll see long established brands respond with something just as competitive?
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 09:32 AM

You get what you pay from with premium brands and I doubt that most consumers will risk any reliability concerns just to save a few bucks. Luckily EV's have the potential to actually become cheaper than ICE's, as the cost of batteries continues to decrease.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryton View Post
You get what you pay from with premium brands and I doubt that most consumers will risk any reliability concerns just to save a few bucks. Luckily EV's have the potential to actually become cheaper than ICE's, as the cost of batteries continues to decrease.
I actually realized that Tesla is testing this out for themselves, soon with a cheaper Model 3. Its a race to the bottom and this will pave way for a new model under the 3.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page