BMW sold more than 25k plug ins last year - BMW EV Hub Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 09:16 AM Thread Starter

BMW sold more than 25k plug ins last year

For the first time, BMW has managed to sell more than 25,000 plug ins in a year. This marks an almost 20% rise over sales from 2017 and suggests that converting ICE owners is slowly becoming easier. They have 7 current electrified models in their line up, with two more expected to join later this year. https://electriccarsreport.com/2019/...he-us-in-2018/
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 06:17 PM

3 and 5 series PHEV's were by far my favorites but if you've spent any time in their ICE versions, its easy to convince yourself of a PHEV version
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 09:14 AM

With their consumer base growing on electrified models, they are well positioned to have very successful adoption rates as their full EV models begin to launch. Looks like their Mini brand is really hurting but I know they have an electric variant on the way.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-12-2019, 12:16 PM Thread Starter

I don't have a lot of faith in the Mini EV, as it's looking to borrow its powertrain from the i3. Even the newer model still sits at the lower end of the spectrum in terms of specs.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus View Post
I don't have a lot of faith in the Mini EV, as it's looking to borrow its powertrain from the i3. Even the newer model still sits at the lower end of the spectrum in terms of specs.
I feel that Mini has a better chance at selling city cars when they're really in demand, aside from that upcoming Mini EV's won't differentiate much from the cheapest BMW EV.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 09:25 AM

Mini has quickly become a very niche brand and models like the Countryman couldn't be further from their heritage. At least they've realized their best way forward is with electrification.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 11:49 AM

Mini making a version of the Aston Martin Cygnet could be a great move along with stuffing a hybrid underneath.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 01:11 PM Thread Starter

Aston Martin has a closer partnership with Mercedes than they do with BMW. A lot of the newer Astons are using engines from AMG.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus View Post
Aston Martin has a closer partnership with Mercedes than they do with BMW. A lot of the newer Astons are using engines from AMG.
Never realized that but I looked into it and discovered that Mercedes has a new hatch coming to North America. In the past smaller automakers used upcoming MB products.
This might be a great opportunity for Aston to use Benz's A-Class hatch.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page