BMW i2 to replace i3? - BMW EV Hub Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 01:12 PM Thread Starter

BMW i2 to replace i3?

BMW may be looking to replace the outgoing i3 with a cheaper entry level EV, that's expected to come at some point in 2024. They claim it will start for less than 30,000 euros and will look far more traditional than i3, similar in size to that of a 2 series. May the one of the first models made in a new joint EV venture with Daimler. https://insideevs.com/bmw-i2-i3-replacement-cheap/
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 01:06 PM

Their overuse of carbon fiber on the i3 certainly hasn't done any favors with regards to pricing. 2024 is a long ways off though, and a lot can change over the next 5 years. Hopefully if they do release a new entry level model it will be closer to key rivals in terms of spec and cost.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 01:06 PM Thread Starter

I hope they don't lose some of the originality behind the i3's design, because to me its quirkiness its one of its biggest strengths. Too many brands are starting to release newer electrics that essential mirror their ICE counterparts with the exception of exhaust pipes.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus View Post
I hope they don't lose some of the originality behind the i3's design, because to me its quirkiness its one of its biggest strengths. Too many brands are starting to release newer electrics that essential mirror their ICE counterparts with the exception of exhaust pipes.
Sorry to break it to you but the i3's influence is diminishing.
Already future BMW i products are said to be more normal. i4 being one of them. Expect it to be that way unless it has nothing to do with an existing BMW product... like the i3 and i8... both never seen before.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 12:57 PM

@greenbeam its too early to tell because what other BMW i models are out right now? None.
Everything else scheduled for the next few years are based off existing BMW products that have been around for decades. So they have to abide by what has been around unlike the i3 and i8.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 02:36 PM

I guess you're right because Merecedes hasn't done much to differentiate the design of EV's to ICE vehicles.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenbeam View Post
I guess you're right because Merecedes hasn't done much to differentiate the design of EV's to ICE vehicles.
Well... I think they just learned from BMW to do softer launches via existing models instead of completely unique products.
Give it time, we might see a completely unique EV from Benz.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 01:31 PM

Would anyone here give a Mercedes a-class based electric a chance? I love the new A-Class sedan and hatch and would love to see it electrified!

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenbeam View Post
Would anyone here give a Mercedes a-class based electric a chance? I love the new A-Class sedan and hatch and would love to see it electrified!

Mercedes vehicle are known for not being sporty enough, if that's the case here I might just stick with BMW.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 12:23 PM

It's a shame that the i3 is going to disappear given how successful it has been. But if the i2 is cheaper and can get the same range or more as the i3 then it should be hit.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page