BMW 5 Series Development EV "Lucy" delivers 710HP - BMW EV Hub Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 05:28 PM Thread Starter

BMW 5 Series Development EV "Lucy" delivers 710HP

During their "Next" conference, BMW unveiled a 5-Series electric vehicle that's has some earth shattering numbers.

Covered by a 5-Series body, this experimental EV, nicknamed "Lucy" (aka Lucifer), comes with 3 electric motors that's capable of 710 horsepower, 848 pound-feet of torque, and a 0-60 time of 2.8 seconds. Showcasing to everyone how EVs can be made to satisfy speed demons everywhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=bXIZL698UlE

Jalopnik got to see what "Lucy" was all about and here's what they had to say about it.

Quote:
The car’s three motors—rated at a combined 885 lb-ft of torque and 710 battery-limited horsepower according to BMW—helped the car defy its approximately 5,300 pound curb weight, accelerating out of the hole like a fighter jet off an aircraft carrier. When Torsten, the engineer at the helm, first smashed the pedal, the cell phone I was using to record nearly slapped me right in the face.

What’s just as impressive as the “longitudinal dynamics” (as BMW nerdily puts it) are what Germans called “Querdynamik,” or lateral behavior, and on that front, the Power BEV test vehicle was so impressive that I legitimately nearly vomited as Torsten chucked the Heavy-As-A-Full-Size-Truck sedan through a slalom and into a chicane. I almost regretted eating a delicious Butterbrezn immediately prior to the test drive. Almost.
Quote:
So basically, Lucy is a test bed for BMW’s EV development, allowing BMW to assess a number of vehicle functions. For example, engineers can use the car to look at different ways of seamlessly switching on a front motor during driving, they can understand the behavior caused by various levels of brake energy recuperation, they can determine the effects of different motor output ramp-up strategies, they can—per one BMW engineer—figure out “how a driver can control this much power without being scared,” and most importantly, they can play with the two rear motors to design a torque vectoring system that yields the best handling.
post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 01:09 PM

Those numbers are absolutely incredible. They better have their production cars have these kinds of numbers!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page