The next 5 Series will have at least 2 electric versions - BMW EV Hub Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 04:29 PM Thread Starter

The next 5 Series will have at least 2 electric versions

According to BMW Blog, BMW planning to have a full electric trim of the 5 Series by 2023.

It'll be intersting to see how the electric 5 Series will differ from the upcoming BMW i4 that's suppose to compete with the Tesla Model S.

Quote:
One model which will help achieve the EV number is the next generation 5 Series which will arrive in 2023. The refreshed 5 Series will not only sport a brand-new design language, but will also be integral to the electrification strategy. According to sources in Munich, the 5 Series will bring to market at least two fully-electric drivetrains.
Quote:
That strategy will apply to the electric 5 Series which is also likely to get a new naming convention outside of the BMW i spectrum. While the final battery capacity has yet to be finalized, we expect the 5 Series electric to offer at least 60-80 kWh battery packs for a total electric range starting at 300 miles.

What’s even more interesting than the battery packs and electric miles is the option between a rear-wheel drive electric 5 Series or one equipped with the xDrive system, which will ensure that the 5 Series caters to customers around the world.
post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 07:33 PM

Not surprised. Tesla gave us the first look at how automakers will be selling these.

The 5-Series is also a volume product. BMW doesn't have a choice. Just look at the Model S, its a sales success!
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 10:01 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenbeam View Post
Not surprised. Tesla gave us the first look at how automakers will be selling these.

The 5-Series is also a volume product. BMW doesn't have a choice. Just look at the Model S, its a sales success!
So I guess the i4 is going to compete with the Model S as a sports sedan and the electric 5 series is going to be primarily focused as a commuter car. But I'm still curious how BMW will try to distinguish the two. Though to be fair they're already used to it with all the different models they currently offer.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page