BMW is introducing inductive charging in the US with the 530e - BMW EV Hub Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 12:24 PM Thread Starter

BMW is introducing inductive charging in the US with the 530e

BMW is launching a pilot program for its inductive charging system in the U.S that will be available for 200 California residents. Those participants will begin a 36-month lease of a 2019 530e hybrid sedan. The lease covers all costs of inductive charging and pad installation, maintenance, and de-installation.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/am...g-on-the-530e/

Quote:
The unit consists of a GroundPad, which can be installed on a garage floor or outside, and a CarPad, which is attached to the vehicle undercarriage and is connected to the lithium-ion battery. The carís display screen helps guide the driver in positioning the car directly over the GroundPad (the system allows up to three inches of leeway fore and aft and roughly five and a half inches side to side). Once the car is correctly placed, the driver presses a Start button and wireless charging begins; the system switches off automatically when the battery is topped off.

The process to fully recharge the 530eís 9.2-kWh battery takes about three and a half hours and has a claimed efficiency rate of 85 percent. BMW says that's similar to the speed of its Level 2 home charger.

The inductive charging option will not be offered on any other BMW plug-in models; itís exclusive to the 530e, and available for leased vehicles only. Itís further restricted to just 200 cars and will be offered only in California.

Last edited by Brooksy01; 08-12-2019 at 12:27 PM.
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 04:59 PM

I thought by now these soft launches that start off in Cali would be no more. Most people want inductive charging.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 10:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenbeam View Post
I thought by now these soft launches that start off in Cali would be no more. Most people want inductive charging.
I was a bit surprised by that as well. Hopefully inductive charging comes sooner than 3 years.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooksy01 View Post
I was a bit surprised by that as well. Hopefully inductive charging comes sooner than 3 years.
in a way its good for small companies in other locations that see the unfilled demand
for us consumers, its a longer wait

Cali can't be the only holy grail
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 10:05 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenbeam View Post
in a way its good for small companies in other locations that see the unfilled demand
for us consumers, its a longer wait

Cali can't be the only holy grail
That's very true, hopefully this inspires other areas to see to demand and potential. I hope BMW expands this project outside of California.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 01:30 AM

Testing is the only way to find out.

That and EV sales to help justify the units of chargers needed.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page